Saturday, November 20, 2010

My brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?

I have about 56000 miles on my car. When I went for an oil change they said the brake fluid was really low, but my car passed inspection at that time. This was two weeks ago. My brakes are still really good, they are just squeaking. A friend was in my car and someone was crossing the street and I slammed on the brakes and they were amazed at how quickly the car stopped. Can I just add some brake fluid for now or should I take it in to a garage? Thanks



I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla.My brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
I think your due for some new brake pads on the front wheels and the sooner you have them put on the cheaper the bill will be. If you wear the pads down to the rotors, you can end up having to replace both the front rotors as well. For just the pads it's a $130 job, but with new rotors it could be a $280 job or so. Your best bet in my opinion is an independent garage rather than the dealer or a national brake chain. Find a good local garage at http://www.IATN.net/shopfinderMy brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
leave it alone/no brake fluid but start shopping brake job/the reason it needed brake fluid the last time is as the pads and brakes wear the pistons go further out and that means the fluid level gets lower/when the brakes are finally done make sure the extra fluid is drawn off/dont add any moreMy brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
Low break fluid is a sign that your pad's are worn and the squealing is a sure sign as there to the point where the warning tabs are touching the rotors, which is exactly what there suppose to do. so unless you want to replace the rotors along with the pads then just keep driving it. but no need to add fluid as it will just end up on the floor when and if you ever do decide to have your breaks serviced. as when you compress the calipers to install the new pads all that fluid you added has to go somewhere.My brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
HI

Squeaking brakes has nothing to do with low fluid.. there is a little tab built in to the brake pads that start rubbing the rotor when the brakes are wore out.. if you don't replace the pads it well and can ruin the rotors and you well have to replace them as well as the pads. this could add $100 or more per wheel when you do decide to replace the brakes.. so It is best to get the brakes pads check to see if that is the problem.. a brake job with out having to change the rotors well run around $300.oo. unless you can do them your self then it could be around $100.oo for parts..

good luck

timMy brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
Low brake fluid and squeaking brakes are two different things.



If you are low on fluid, absolutely top it off. Fill it to the line on the side of the reservoir. Use the proper type of fluid as described in the owners manual. Too low brake fluid means failed brakes, which is not a good thing.



Squeaking brakes is a mechanical issue. It could mean the brake pads are worn. A good mechanic can fix it, maybe by replacing the pads. The sound is annoying but should not affect braking power unless the pads are worn out.My brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
1. Add fluid

2. Get your pads changed.



Adding fluid will do nothing if the people that change your pads know what they're doing. If you leave too much fluid in the reservoir while compressing the piston back into it's bore, then fluid will leak out.



Your fluid is low because your pads are bad. And someone already explained why. If you don't change your pad you will destroy your rotors and have to replace them too.My brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
you should fill the master cylinder up but that,s not what,s making the brakes squeak. they squeak because they either need changed or it,s brake dust on them.My brakes are starting to squeak. Can I add brake fluid for awhile?
DO NOT LET ANYONE TOP UP YOUR BRAKE FLUID but a Toyota service department. It is NORMAL for the brake fluid level to drop as the brake pads and shoes wear out. Adding fluid to the system that is not genuine Toyota brake fluid may cause compatibility issues that will begin to corrupt your brake seaals and other components. GO TO A do-it-yourself car wash, and spray the living daylights out of your wheels. You most likely have a large build-up of brake dust. Power washing will remove this, and make your brakes quiet again. YOU SHOULD go to the dealership and purchase a small bottle of genuine Toyota brake fluid to keep in your trunk or garage. Brake fluids made by different manufacturers are not always chemically compatible. SEE?? If you were at a quicky lube, they are trained to top up fluids. Many times, in so doing, they actually cause more problems than they are trying to prevent!!