Saturday, November 20, 2010

Change power steering fluid at 30k?

I just took my 2004 Honda Odyssey in (to Honda Dealer) for the 30k maintenance according to my manual. I had oil filter changed, brake fluid flush, tranny flush and air filter replaced.



Well now they say my power steering is dirty and needs to be replaced for $120. My manual says it shouldn't need to be replaced. So who do I believe? How do I check myself? Can I do it myself? Help!



Thanks!Change power steering fluid at 30k?
you should never need to get your power steering fluid flushed unless you or someone else contaminates it. I own 3 Pennzoil 10 Minutes and have had many salesman try to sell me on doing flushes and I Will not buy in. I told them to bring me one and only one owners manual that recommended this service and I would think about it. Well that was a number of years ago and to this day I have not found one single manual that recommends this service. I believe it is along the same line as Nitrogen. Shops are running out of ways to make money because of the lack of maintenance needed on newer cars so they create these services to make money. Nitrogen and steering flushes are the 2 biggest scams out there. I hope you don't waste your money. I have 24 years of experience working on cars and have owned the 3 shops for 19+ years.Change power steering fluid at 30k?
Agree with Master T. but I would take it to an independently owned shop, you will get better service from them.
  • bluetooth portable memory
  • career in management
  •