Saturday, November 20, 2010

My brake fluid seems really dirty (dark brown). Does it need changing periodically?

The reason I looked at my brake fluid was because my brakes were a bit spongy (the pedal went all the way to the floor) the other day (they're fine now, even before I added a little brake fluid). But, when I went to add a little bit of brake fluid to bring the level to the 'maximum level' line I noticed how brown the existing brake fluid was. The new brake fluid was crystal clear. Do I need to change the brake fluid? How often is it suggested to replace the brake fluid?



Also, it was pretty hot the day my brakes went spongy. Could it be due to the brake fluid overheating and not working effectively? I have a 89' Honda Civic HB with non-power disc brakes in the front and drums in the back.My brake fluid seems really dirty (dark brown). Does it need changing periodically?
Yes, the brake fluid can need changing just like all of the fluids in your car. If the brakes were spongy you might want to check the master cylinder. If the pads are more than half worn go ahead and do a brake job changing the fluid.My brake fluid seems really dirty (dark brown). Does it need changing periodically?
you can at any time flush your brake system. this can be done with rented items from advanced auto.. or auto zone..



or from somebody like Midas or Meineke.



as far as the %26quot;spnoge%26quot; brakes that is not the fluid.. I would look more toward the master cylinder...or power booster..



you could go to one of those shops above if I remember right they give free est...



which would tell you what is wrong with the car then you can decide if you can do the work or not.. if not you know what it will cost youMy brake fluid seems really dirty (dark brown). Does it need changing periodically?
If you steped on the brake pedal and they were spongey, then were ok the next time you steped on the pedal, is a sign, your brake cylender is going bad. no idea, when it will let go totally, but when the cylender is changed, all four brakes will need to be bled off. sinse fresh brake fluid must be used, after all is said and done, all will have fresh clean brake luid once againMy brake fluid seems really dirty (dark brown). Does it need changing periodically?
The brake fluid is probably okay. sounds as if you need to have someone help you bleed the break lines; usually when the break pedal feels mushy it is a indication of air in the break lines