Saturday, November 20, 2010

Changing brake fluid?

I have a 03 Civic LX...I've had the car for the 3 years now and think its time to replace my brake fluid. I would like to know how long it will take for the garage to replace the fluid and approximately how much they will charge me for the service.

I live about an hour from Philadelphia, PA.

Thanks!Changing brake fluid?
mechanics work by a book. it gives them the time for the job to do. this is how they know what to base your estimate on. this is called 'book time'. and each shop charges a certain price 'per hour' of book time. for example, changing a tire takes ten minutes... they charge one hour. changing a radiator takes this much time by the book, so they multiply the time by price and theres your labor charge. add in the materials and you have your total bill. in your case, 1 jug of brake fluid = $7, this task can be done in one hour so add $7 to one hour of your shops time ( say $80/hour ) and you have $87 bill. dont forget, shops also make money on stuff they sell you. that $7 jug may only cost $5 at pepboys!Changing brake fluid?
One hour and $50-$100.