Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?

I did bleed the brake fluid lines and what not but the pedal still feels all weak not stiff. how do I get my braked pedal to feel stiff again so I dont have to slam the pedal just to come to a stop?I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
Bleed the back brakes too.I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
Sounds like brakes need bleeding.I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
call the mechanic.I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
When you replaced the pads you have to apply pressure to the brakes while the adjustments are made against the rotors so they will feel tight again when you press on the brakesI just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
Did you do disk brakes or drum? I've never dealt with a sentra, but If drum brakes are not adjusted properly the pedel will go almost to the floor before it begins to stop you.I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
You must still have some airI just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
maybe wore down rotors, bad caliper, still some air in the lines, bad master cylinder or brake booster. im gonna say bleed them again and if it still is bad test fluid pressure.I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
When you change the pads you push the calipers all the way out -- the rear brakes need to be readjusted to compensate. you can do this on some cars by simply backing up and applying the brakes repeatedly until they firm up again. On other cars you need to adjust the rear brakes to compensate.I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
If you replaced the pads there was no need to BLEED the brakes, all that needed to be done was for the piston to be pushed back into the caliper. While pushing the piston back in the brake fluid in the caliper would be squeezed out and most likely run out the top of the reservoir unless you used a little siphon pump and drain some out. Since you bled the brakes what most likely happened was they were not bled properly and air is still in the line. Common mistake a lot of people do when changing their pads so don't be ashamed. I guarantee that is what happened though.

You can also adjust the back brakes if they are of the drum type but if they are disc as well then there is of course nothing to do there except check to see if the pads are ok with them and replace if they need it.

I had to bleed my father-in-laws brakes about 3 days ago cause he changed his pads on the front of his jeep and opened the bleeder valves so the piston would push in easier/or make a mess by overflowing and I ended up showing him how to properly change the pads without opening the bleeder valves and then I used a one man bleeder that cost about $13 and bled the brakes for him. Few people I trust to help %26quot;pump up%26quot; the brakes while I open the bleeder valve, some do not put enough pressure on the pedal or don't push them far enough or even release pedal to soon before bleeder valve is tight. If they are the ones responsible for opening the bleeder and tightening it then they usually won't open it far enough to force air out completely with the pressure or they leave it loose a little to get air back in there.I just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
I think that you need to actually adjust your rear brakes. They have an automatic adjuster in them but sometimes it ceases up.



Good luckI just changed the brake pads in my 94 sentra and now when I step on the brakes the pedal feels weak, WHY?
why did you bleed the brakes? the only time you shoudl ever touch the bleeders is afte hyrdaulic component replacement. assuming you have the air out of it now, and the problem started after replacing the front pads, it could only be 3 things. first, brake pad quality. cheaper pads have lower quality material, and stopping distance and pedal feel is worse. if you got sucked into the lifetime brake pad scheme i am sorry. throw them away. they are so hard you will eat the material off the rotors before you do the pads. second, did you have the rotors machined? if you didn't, they won't have the proper surface area for the new pads. the old pads would have worn into them irregularly, and now you have put on new pads that are flat, and the whole pad is not touching the rotor. no brake pads wear flat on the rotor. the other thing is if you did have the rotors machined. machining them puts a rougher surface on them that the new pads have to wear into. the rough surface gives the paeds less area to tough them until the higher parts get knocked down. (think of the surface of 220 grit sandpaper) once they get worn in they will work fine.