Thursday, September 22, 2011

Was all this work worth the price and how can I check if all the work was really done and the quality of it?

Just recently took my '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe to Infiniti and my car is at 37k miles and I need to do my 30k. Infiniti called me and told me that my drive belts were cracked

and needed to be replaced and that my rear brakes needed to be replaced. (Pads and resurfacing) I checked my drive belts and they were indeed cracked.



So basically they want 1278.00 to do my brakes, replace my belts, replace my engine air filter and do the 30k maintenance.



I just took my car to Express Tire on Poway Rd. and they're doing the brakes for 234, both belts for 200 with a lifetime warranty on them and they're special service which includes:

-a full synthetic oil change and oil filter change

-engine flush

-engine air filter replaced

-fuel injectors cleaned

-throttle body service

-power steering fluid exchange

-brake fluid exchange

-radiator antifreeze exchange



Well I know one of the guys that works here and they're doing all of that for 600 bucks TOTAL.



My main question is how can I check the quality of work done and if it was actually done or not?

I have never worked on cars but I have friends that work on them.



Also, was all that work really worth 600 bucks?Was all this work worth the price and how can I check if all the work was really done and the quality of it?
60% of what you had done was pure bs, you tell me what was bs and what wasnt, ill pass you, and ya users will give you a diploma, serious!Was all this work worth the price and how can I check if all the work was really done and the quality of it?
HI

1) a full synthetic oil change and oil filter change

(look at the oil on the dip stick and look to see if the filter is new)

2) -engine flush

(no real way to tell sense the oil well or should be new) (this is kind of a bunk service)

3)-engine air filter replaced

(look at the filter hold it up to a bright light and see if you can see through it clearly)

4) -fuel injectors cleaned

( all they well do for this is put some injector cleaner in the gas tank they won't pull the injectors and clean them)

5) -throttle body service

( this is bunk as well they won't take the throttle body apart they'll just use the injector cleaner in the tank and call it good, they may spray cleaner thru the MASS flow.)

6) -power steering fluid exchange

(you would have to look and smell the fluid before and after to see if it is new.. Old well have a used smell.)

7) -brake fluid exchange

(this is hard to tell maybe check the fluid color and smell before and after the work)

8) -radiator antifreeze exchange

(you would have to look at the fluid before and after the change and see if there is a differences)



good luck

timWas all this work worth the price and how can I check if all the work was really done and the quality of it?
Not only is most of that B.S, but the manufacturer has issued technical service bulletins warning the dealer NOT to do engine flushes and fuel injector cleaning. See the posts below. Replacing the air filter is fine, if it needed it. A coolant flush at 30K miles was totally unnecessary since your car was filled at the factory with long life coolant. The brake fluid exchange IS a recommended service. The power steering fluid change isn't on the recommended list, but won't hurt anything if done properly. The throttle body cleaning is also total B.S. unless you had an idling problem. I highly doubt that the serpentine belt needed to be changed. Cracks in the belt are common and are NOT a reason to change it unless there are cracks all the way across all the ribs within a 1%26quot; area.



You pretty much got fleeced.Was all this work worth the price and how can I check if all the work was really done and the quality of it?
I think you got taken for a ride. Most of those listed were not necessary except perhaps for the oil change. Check your Owner's Manual for the requirements for maintenance schedule. At this point my advice is to change your oil according to the Manual, make sure all your fluids (brake, power steering, auto tranny, etc) are up and your air filters clean. BTW, the small hairline cracks in your serpentine belts are normal. Just watch for signs of shredding. Also you don't need any brake job at that mileage unless you drive in a severe condition or tend to panic brake.Was all this work worth the price and how can I check if all the work was really done and the quality of it?
I would say there is really no practical way of finding out if most of this work was done.Provided that it was,the charges are not too bad.The question ,of course,is whether it was all necessary.If you plan to keep the car and add lots of miles then it was a wise move.This is one of those situations we all get trapped in,whether it's the car or house or appliance or whatever.Personally,I try not to make a financial decision of that magnitude without thinking it over for a few days.