Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Vibrating brakes a warning sign?

Hi, I'm driving a 2002 Mazda Protege 5. For the last few days, there is is a somewhat loud vibration coming from my brakes when I first press down on the pedal, but it goes away once it's pressed a little more firmly. I've noticed slight wear in the brakes overall so I'm guessing it's the car warning me to get ready to change the pads? I don't think I need to do a whole brake job, since it's not a very old car and it was pretty well maintained. Also, my handbrake light refuses to go off. For this, I'm guessing brake fluid or I have to get it tightened?, since it only works when cranked all the way back. I use my handbrake all the time and I know how costly it is to fix if the thing snaps.Vibrating brakes a warning sign?
sean, if your brakes are vibrating then you will need to get them re-surfaced and check the pads and calipers. they can be the cause of the vib. but there are more causes than that. the other s can be, brake dust trapped under the pad or loose caliper bolts.Vibrating brakes a warning sign?
You could have warped rotors. I've had the same problem a few times.Vibrating brakes a warning sign?
I'd bet the rotors are warped. If they're the original rotors (and based on the age of your car, they might be), I'd bet my house on it. This happens over time as the rotors get thinner and thinner, and as a result, they can wear unevenly or be more prone to warping because of heat. Worn pads can warp the rotors also.



Bottom line: You're looking at a full brake job, with new rotors and pads. The calipers are probably OK, but don't wait until you hear grinding or squeaking -- have it checked out and repaired very soon.Vibrating brakes a warning sign?
warped rotors is probably the most common cause of vibration but on a newer car you may want to have the anti lock checked out as well just to be safeVibrating brakes a warning sign?
Change your brakes first and then check your rotors, if your rotor are bad or warped, they will cause your brakes to wear quickly.