Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do you bleed the brakes in a 1977 Motorhome / RV?

I have a 1977 GMC MIDAS motor-home, and I am having a hard time with the brakes. It has 4 disc brakes. I changed the front pads, and calipers on both sides. I tried bleeding the lines but the pedal is still really soft. I have to push the pedal all the way down until I feel brakes, and that's with new pads and calipers. The rotors do not looked warped. I read something about turning the wheel to both locks to engage the pump or something? I tried everything, I think it may have a brake power boost system. I did add brake fluid to the master cylinder because it went down after the bleeding process, which I hope was what I was supposed to add. Anyone have any ideas, or somewhere that the proper bleeding process is described for this vehicle?How do you bleed the brakes in a 1977 Motorhome / RV?
it still has air in the system



get a friend help you out

have him pump the break five times or more and tell him not to release and let his food press down on the break.

loosen the bleed valve on the caliper a quarter turn and tighten it once the fluids come out

repeat the process like three times or until no more bubbles come out of the bleed valve. do it in all four wheels,,





,*****watch out for the fluid level on the reservoir if it runs out while your still bleeding the system you're gonna have to start all over again*****





hope it helps

good luck