Thursday, June 2, 2011

2000 Dodge Neon help...anyone?

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon its a 4 cylinder and the other day my brakes went completely out. I checked the brake fluid and it was low so I bought more just to make it home (around the corner) and by the time I got home it was very low again. So an hour after I got it home I went outside and saw brake fluid on the ground it was under my driver's side back tired only. What does that sound like to you? I want to say it is the wheel cylinder but I am not 100% sure or maybe you think the brake line needs to be replaced or the it is just the caliper? Also is it best to change the back brake because of all the possible brake fluid on it? How much does it cost for the part typically. Thank you in advance! :)2000 Dodge Neon help...anyone?
that is an all wheel disk brakes car, so the rear would have a rotor and caliper and pads, you can clean the rotor with brake cleaner to get the brake fluid off, you don't need to replace it just because of that. as for the leak itself most likely it is a brake line or brake hose, it could be the caliper however, the best way to tell is to crawl underneath and look at the line and hose while someone pumps the brake to cause the fluid to spray out making it well, pretty obvious. - make sure to fill the reservoir before doing this.