Thursday, June 2, 2011

Basic car maintenance, any advice?

Ok... So... Anyone want to give me some advice on basic maintenance..



How often should the oil be checked, how often changed?

How often should the transmission fluid be changed?

How often should the brake fluid be checked, how often changed?

Antifreeze?

What else should be checked, how often?



What can be used to clean the engine and everything in the engine compartment? Is it safe to wipe everything down with a wet cloth - plain water, or can I use a cleaning solution?



It's an 05 Chevy Cavalier, if that helps? Basic car maintenance, any advice?
Check fluid every fill up with fuel. change oil every 3000 miles. change trans. fluid once a year. check brake fluid every 6 months. if brake fluid is low have brakes checked might need replacing. I check my antifreeze level once a month. Remember to check it when the engine is cool. First thing before running the engine to avoid getting burned. the brake fluid doesn't need to be changed unless you get the braes supper hot. To clean use some grease remover and hot watter. avoid getting wires wet. best to take it to a detailing shop to get the engine cleaned.Basic car maintenance, any advice?
all the answers are when you fill your gas tank you should look at everything under the hood also walk around the car and look at the tires..give it a good once over and you should be fine.to clean the engine compartment get a can of gunk engine brite,spray on engine but not the altenator,then pressure wash it off.Basic car maintenance, any advice?
To be honest if you have the maual to your car it will tell you when to change all of those fluids. I always check my fluids every time I fill up with gas or when I go on a long road trip. As for change I change my oil every 3000 miles some people will tell you different it all depends on what the oil looks like. I change my transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Brake fluid really doesn't have a set milage, I changed mine when I turned brown, it should be almost clear. Coolant is 30,000 to 45,000 miles or when it turns a brown color. I cant remember what color is in the cavaliers red or green. If you want to clean the engine you can use a pressure spayer on it. When I spray my engine I leave it running so if there is any standing water it will dissapate with heat. As far as cleaners a mild soap and water will be fine. I would look at your maual to your car and it will tell you when to do your scheduled maintenance on your vehicle. I hope this helps.Basic car maintenance, any advice?
check your oil at every fill up and change it every three months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. transfuild is about every 50000 miles but never over 100000 miles as most places won't do it the first time over 100000. brake jobs drain most of the fluid so it's added at brake jobs. anti freeze depends on what type of coolant. the new pink stuff says 100000 miles but if it looks dirty or not pink any more, change it. the green stuff every 30000. check your tire pressure often. change your fuel filter every 30-50000. change your air filter at least once a year depending on how dirty your area is.Basic car maintenance, any advice?
Check your oil every other week, or if oil leak is present every day.

Change the motor oil every 3,000 miles.

Spark plugs every 10,000 miles.

Trans. 10,000 miles.

Brake fluid, well you should feel the difference on the brake pedal, also have your brake pads checked.

Anti-freeze every 10 to 15 thousand miles.

Water hoses, belts, tires and battery should also be checked.

Take your car to the local car wash, there is a section for engine wash.



P.S. Check your owners manual for more info.