Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I check the ignition coil on my 2001 Ford Mustang?

I own a 2001 Ford Mustang, V6 3.8L Auto. I'm about 98% sure the ignition coil has gone out but I want to test it anyway. I have Chilton's repair manual and I'm honestly not getting a clue how to do this. I'm not stupid, I do most all routine maintenance myself (oil changes, trans fluid changes, spark plugs, brakes, etc) but this guide is just worded poorly. Can someone please explain to me how I can use my volt/ohm meter to check the ignition coil?!? THANKS!



Here's a picture of the same ignition coil that's in my car:

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/images/6CyHow do I check the ignition coil on my 2001 Ford Mustang?
The first thing is to think of your coil pack as 3 separate ignition coils, with each pair of high tension towers feeding one pair of cylinders. You have a 4 (small) pin electrical connector on that unit. 1 wire (coil pwr, B+) is common to the primary windings of all 3 coils, while the other 3 each are the other end of the circuit for the primary for one coil. So you want to connect one lead of your ohmmeter to the coil power terminal, and the other to each of the other terminals one at a time. This checks the 3 primary windings. In order to check the secondary windings, simply connect your ohmmeter to 1 pair of high tension terminals at a time, in pairs of 1+5, 2+6, and 3+4.



http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/



Couldn't find the specs for your Mustang, but I just coincidentally had answered a question concerning a '98 Contour before this, and they should be the same or at least pretty close to the same specs.



%26quot;Measure coil primary resistance between ignition coil pin 4 (B+) and pins 1 (coil 2), 2 (coil 3) and 3 (coil 1).



Resistance should be 0.3-1.0 ohms. If resistance is out of specifications, replace the coil pack. If resistance is within specifications, proceed to secondary windings testing.



Measure coil secondary resistance between the corresponding spark plug wire towers on the coil.



Resistance should be 12.8-13.1 kilohms (1,000 ohm scale). If secondary resistance is not within specification, replace the coil pack.%26quot;How do I check the ignition coil on my 2001 Ford Mustang?
pull a spark plug replace it back into end wire lay on metal

crank over motor see spark if works



type into search box



how to check a car coilHow do I check the ignition coil on my 2001 Ford Mustang?
Go to your local machanic they'll know whats best